Tuesday 18 January 2011

Filming and Location

I filmed the interrogation scene in my film on Monday 10th January. My locations are set in two different places, and I aim to film the next part on Friday 21st January. My first location that was used last night is a garage unit at Stansted. Although quite far away, the room was perfect for what I wanted. Within the unit there is a car spraying room, a plain white walled room with very heavy lighting, so not to cast any shadows when spraying the cars. This was perfect for my film, as it was so bright, which was what I wanted for parts of it, I thought it was easier to control the lighting.

Here are some pictures of my location at Stansted:






















Problems I encountered
The morning of filming, one of my characters cancelled on the evening's plans, so I had to substitute them very quickly, somebody who could come to Stansted with me for the whole evening, luckily someone was available. Other problems were that I did actually try to film the outside scenes, but due to the time of year, it soon got very dark, meaning that the shots were barely visible, they will have to be redone on the later date stated above. In the unit, moving the camera around became difficult due to the tight spacing in the room. Alongside this, I had to light my suspect's face without casting light on the detective's face, although after a while of moving the halogen lamps, I eventually got the lighting I required.



When filming, I decided to add a few extra shots. I decided that it would be strange for the victim's husband to be interviewing the suspect, as this would not be allowed in real life. So I added a scene where the policeman and the detective have a discussion about why he shouldn't be there. I added a scene where they are both smoking, because I felt that this helped to build up some tension between the characters, in the way that a cigarette is offered to the suspect and how it is received. I have also altered my opening credits. I have made it so we get views of all the characters' face from both sides and forward with them holding their hands up as if to be holding something, in the editing process, their names will appear between their hands.


When watching the shots back, none of them real encompassed what I wanted from the lighting aspect of mise-en-scene. As the room was built to cast no shadows it was very hard to control the shadowing on people's faces and in the room where appropriate. For this reason I am going to film the interrogation scene again on Friday 21st January in my house in a room that will be cleared and made to look like an interrogation room. As it is just a normal room, controlling the light will be much easier.



1 comment:

  1. Thorough Emily. Did you photograph the set up for your second shoot?

    ReplyDelete